Seeking a Design Manager for a direct hire opportunity located in Palo Alto, CA. This candidate will handle and manage assigned design projects consistent with the planning and design goals and standards as established in the project management plan (PMP) of the Veterans Affairs (VA) Hospital. This person is responsible for ensuring the completion of the design work and participating in planning the phases to prevent disruption and help minimize overall costs. Our client is a small business provider of planning, design, infrastructure management, technical consulting, engineering, and construction management services in support of the US Department of Defense (DOD) and its Service (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps) missions, along with other US federal agencies.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Manage assigned structural design projects consistent with the planning and design goals and standards of VA, as established in the project management plan (PMP); ensure that capital project management processes enable the completion of projects on time and within budget
- Coordinate with and assist the Project Development Team (PDT) to establish a well-defined project scope that reflects the input of appropriate departments to optimize program and space efficiency, flexibility and life cycle cost
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in the use of Project Management standards, and systems to ensure completion of design projects on time and within budget, and the ability to modify or alter the standard procedures to meet crucial deadlines.
- Work with the Project Manager (PM) and the Contracting Officer (CO) in procuring the best-qualified Engineer/ Architect to be the designer of record (DOR), within project cost and time parameters; and establish the need for additional consultant studies and services required during the planning and design phase to ensure quality design deliverables.
- Oversee the day-to-day performance of the DOR and related consultants to ensure quality design within the contract cost and schedule; manage the conduct of design reviews; participate in cross-functional and departmental meetings to ensure business and functional needs are achieved with the design
- Provide input for the development and implementation of design and construction standards to ensure projects are executed at appropriate levels of quality, are compatible with BA sustainability plans, and are effectively commissioned prior to occupancy.
- Develop and implement systems to monitor project design against budget authorization and project schedules
- Lead a timely decision-making process to ensure all outstanding design issues are resolved; act as a solution consultant to engineers, architects, and other outside consultants; and seek to improve cost-effectiveness related to the facility design process.
- Review contracts, scopes of work, specifications, plans, and pertinent jurisdictional codes to ensure that project design milestones and deliverable dates are being met while providing contract compliant, cost-effective facilities
- Performs other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Structural Engineering or Civil Engineering with emphasis on Structural
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience managing assigned design projects consistent with the planning and design goals and standards
- Experienced in handling healthcare or medical center projects exposed in the design-bid-build and design build
- Able to conduct comprehensive research and analysis of technical and cost data
- Able to read and interpret acquisition policy, regulations, and directives
- Able to provide clear guidance to all lower-level acquisition personnel
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Background on safety and quality management in the healthcare construction field
- Must lawfully reside in the United States and eligible for employment ( client does not sponsor visas or work permits)
Schedule: M-F (9a.m-5 p.m.) Hybrid after 30 days.
Location: Palo Alto, CA.