Seeking to hire a Lab Tech for a Direct Hire opportunity in Leominster, MA. Our client is a leader in thermal solutions, is looking for a sharp, motivated, and meticulous Laboratory Technician (LT) to assist in the development of new materials and processes for scale-up into the company’s product lines. This role is critical to our client’s Research and Development (R&D) department. The LT conducts tests on thermal solutions and/or their components, which includes materials R&D and thermal property characterizations.
The LT must be able to develop, document and execute standard laboratory test methods (standard operating procedures, SOPs) and maintain laboratory documentation (e.g. TDS, SDS, CoA) while keeping an accurate inventory for chemicals and supplies. The LT should enjoy working in a smaller, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Characterize novel materials, including flexible film packaging, liquid phase change materials (PCMs), shape stable PCMs and materials used to impart shape stability.
- Formulate new materials using various mixing, blending and/or polymerization techniques.
- Identify, procure, and evaluate raw materials from manufacturers and/or suppliers.
- Manage laboratory documentation (e.g. TDS, SDS, CoA, CoC).
- Monitor, update, and replenish chemical inventory and laboratory supplies.
- Develop and execute standard laboratory testing and document via preparation and/or revision of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Specify, procure, utilize, and maintain all laboratory equipment; conduct minor trouble shooting as needed.
- Maintain a clean and safe laboratory environment.
- Generate reports and presentations that provide clear, concise results and conclusions.
- Manage multiple project tasks under the direction of company business/technical staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or similar technical discipline.
- Basic wet chemistry experience; must have superior hands-on skills.
- Self-starter with 1 to 3+ years of industry experience in a laboratory / R&D setting.
- Experience with analytical balances, GC, DSC, UV-Vis, FTIR, TGA, pH, viscosity, density, moisture, and particle size analysis.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety best practices, including SDS cataloging, material storage, material disposal, inventory, and maintenance of related equipment.
- Experience with microscopic and/or general laboratory R&D failure analysis.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, with keen attention to detail.
- Organized, able to prioritize job duties, and remain proactive with a fluctuating workload.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a hands-on laboratory-based science, technology, or engineering discipline, with expertise in organic and/or polymer chemistry.
- Background/experience with Environmental Chambers, Recirculating Chillers, TCs, RTDs, HFM, LFD, GC/MS, and/or DMA.
- Knowledge in making thermoplastic/thermoset gels (e.g. physical gel and/or chemical gel: thermal, catalytic, UV, etc.).
- PCM development experience, including but not limited to Organic, Inorganic, Form Stable/ Shape Stable, and micro-encapsulated, including typical end-use applications.
- Knowledge of modern plastic manufacturing processes, including injection molding, blow molding, thermoforming, film extrusion/lamination, and rapid prototyping.
- Knowledge or experience with flexible and/or rigid plastic materials and methods to manufacture utilizing packaging machinery.
- Basic knowledge of Rubber/Elastomer chemistry
- Ability to use statistical methods and related software to analyze experimental data.