Seeking a Material Test Engineer for a long-term position in Lisle, IL.
This position will handle multiple Analytical Services and Failure Analysis projects for multiple business divisions and business units which may be global. The position requires analysis of complex technical data, will use test procedures as guides, but has the freedom to determine the best preparation method. In cases of performing failure analysis, critical thinking, creative and in-depth analysis are required to arrive at the root cause(s) to present to internal and external customers.
Material Test Engineer – Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conduct advanced analysis on components, materials, and electronic assemblies using SEM/EDS (scanning electronic microscope/energy dispersive spectrometer).
· Develop Failure Analysis Plans
· Process Analytical Test Requests
· Peer Review Analytical Test Request reports
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering or Sciences
· 5+ years’ experience in a laboratory environment providing analytical services and conducting failure analysis activities using SEM/EDS on electronic assemblies or materials.
· Experience in the operation and interpretation of results in SEM/EDS.
· Project management experience executing to completing several projects simultaneously.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills that demonstrate the ability to express complex technical concepts clearly and concisely and author engineering reports.
· Possess critical thinking and analytical ability to develop conclusions from complex data including multiple interactions.
· Interpersonal skills to work with others effectively including global contact.
· Bachelor's degree in Materials or Metallurgy.
· Experience or knowledge of other analytical techniques such as XPS, Auger, X-Ray Diffraction, DSC, TGA, hardness testing, FTIR, XRF, Optical Microscopy, Confocal Microscopy.
· Copper alloy material analysis and metallurgy experience.
· Plating surface analysis and general process knowledge.
· Experience developing a correlation of the Physics of Failure with empirical results and predictive models (FEA).
· Demonstrated knowledge of complex failure analysis and experimental design.
· Demonstrated knowledge of statistical analysis techniques and proficiency in the use of statistical analysis software.
· Electronic assembly failure analysis experience.