We are seeking to hire a Sr. Engineering Manager for a Direct Hire opportunity for our client in Joliet, IL. Our client is a major manufacturer of inorganic commodities and specialty chemicals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· The Senior Manager, Engineering, will be responsible to manage the corporate engineering team responsible for identifying, managing, designing, and implementing major capital projects at the client’s manufacturing operations across the US and Canada. This includes project engineers, engineering disciplines, process controls, and CAD design function.
· The incumbent uses a structured approach to project management to deliver results on time and on budget.
· The incumbent is responsible for fostering an organizational culture of safety, integrity, continuous improvement, ownership, diversity, and accountability while developing a strong bench of engineering knowledge, experience, and talent.
· This individual has a strong working knowledge of developing P&ID’s, conceptual equipment layouts, and equipment lists to develop capital cost estimates as projects are developed. They can take process designs from P&ID’s into detailed engineering packages for bidding and construction utilizing internal and external engineering resources. This includes equipment and vessel specifications, scopes of work, and other documents required for RFQ’s (Request for Quotation).
· The manager will set deadlines and co-ordinate the effective resourcing of projects and the management of individual performances to defined objectives. He/she will implement Project procedures and engineering standards to enhance the project strategy and deliverables.
· Where appropriate, risk assessments will be conducted for each project, ensuring all risks are evaluated and controlled / mitigated to minimize uncertainty.
· The manager is responsible for the CAPEX cost estimating function for projects across the Americas and assists with capital budgets and capital project cost estimating. Ensures that the proper tools and methods are utilized for consistent project costing.
· Responsible for the engineering drawing management system and application of both Engineering Standards and other applicable standards (ASME, NEC, ISO, NFPA).
· This position must work as a collaborative part of the Project Teams, aligned with both the Manufacturing organization as well as the business groups.
· Work with Leadership at all levels to insure that:
o Engineering designs, builds, and constructs plant upgrades, expansions, and new operations that support client’s requirements and growth plan.
o The annual furnace rebuild project plans are fully developed in advance and communicated to all stakeholders.
o Project managers are assigned and are managing their roles according to effective project management principles including project charters and the FEL process.
· Participate as a critical member of the Leadership Team.
· Engineering Costs
o Responsible for managing and controlling the annual SGA budget for Engineering.
o Directly responsible for defining, implementing, and managing the annual budgeting process, aligning with the business financial goals and targets.
o Work closely with Mfg. & Engr. VP, and Finance to analyze cost results and to deliver forecasts to the function and the business.
· Human Resource Management
o Partner with HR to hire, staff, train, develop and implement personal improvement plans, manage performance and succession plans.
o Ensures the capital program for the Americas is managed effectively and progressing to plan.
o Work with the plants and the Process Manufacturing Technology group to execute the key projects managed by Engineering utilizing the FEL stage gate process.
o Ensures that Engineering develops outstanding quality work for their projects which provides clarity for construction bidding and installation work.
o Develop and implement a Quality program to achieve company objective of zero internal and external defects.
o Comply with all federal, state, and local environmental, health, and safety regulations and requirements.